Friday, March 9, 2012

Purim - An Amazing Story of Jewish Survival

I remember Purim from my childhood, but it's mainly for the noisemakers and the tasty hamantaschen (see photo). I knew there was something about Queen Esther (was she sort of like Queen Elizabeth?) and a king and an uncle. But that was it.

Now, as an adult, with an interest, I have heard the entire Book of Esther, which is read during Purim. The observant Jew is supposed to hear it twice over the two-day Purim Holiday--in its original Hebrew. I heard it once this year, but it was the first time ever.

Luckily, there's an English translation alongside the Hebrew in the little book I held during the reading so I could keep up with what was going on. While the rabbi chanted from the beautiful hand-calligraphed scroll, I l earned about how the Jewish community, in exile in Babylonia (modern Iraq), was nearly destroyed. It seems the king was unhappy with his queen, who wouldn't show up when called (he had a harem), so he had a beauty contest to replace her. Esther was chosen, but she hid the fact that she was Jewish (this is surely not the first time this has happened).

Esther's uncle and guardian, Mordecai, had heard of a plot against the king and saved his life by having Esther pass it on to the king. But at the moment, the king, who seemed surprisingly easily manipulated, is told by Haman, his evil counselor, that he can and should wipe out the "others in their midst." Once again, a sadly familiar tale. For some reason the king goes for this and sends out a decree to kill all the Jews.

Of course the Jews are shocked and horrified. But rather than just having Esther intercede, Mordecai gets the community to pray, and finally tells Esther. She fasts for three days and then approaches the king. Now, just walking in on his majesty could get you killed but she does make her plea. Then, the king realizes that Mordecai was the one who saved his life before and the plot turns 180 degrees in an instant. It's Haman who loses out and the Jews are saved.

Unfortunately, the king's proclamations can't be rescinded, so he has to issue another one, essentially arming the Jews against their attackers. The Jews kill off a bunch of people and become so frightening that some non-Jews convert to Judaism to protect themselves. I didn't see THAT coming.

I didn't realize that the first day of Purim is a daylong fast, so when I arrived at the Chabad shul some folks were ravenous. Since I'd eaten, I didn't stay for the festive meal, and because of other commitments, I couldn't attend the big party the next night. But I did get the message this year. I hope every holiday that comes along I can learn and understand more deeply than I have before.



No comments:

Post a Comment