Friday, April 20, 2012

Masorti Movement Judaism - The Middle Path

I had the pleasure of visiting with Menachem Creditor, the rabbi of a Conservative congregation in Berkeley, California this week. Netivot Shalom sits on a busy major street, its modern, glass design reflecting its location in a tolerant, open community.

Interesting, then, the word "Conservative." This is not the political or social conservatism of Rick Santorum or right-wing radio commentators. The Conservative, or as it's also known, Masorti Movement, is based on "conserving" Judaism much as one would conserve natural resources.

As I am beginning to understand it, in brief, the Masorti Movement came about because of the Reform Movement, which, in 19th Century Europe, rebelled against established Jewish practice and threw away much of the ancient tradition for a new, vernacular interpretation. Out went kosher laws, shabbat practices, and much of the rest of it. The Conservative/Masorti rabbis believed that some kind of reform or modernization was needed--but not to the extent of the reformers--so they took a middle path, "conserving" more of what was once known simply as "Judaism." Interesting that the concept of "Orthodox" Judaism only came when the reformers created something new.

For my research, I'll go to a service at Netivot Shalom and see what I think.

Rabbi Menachem is one of the contributors to the Shefa Network, which works to make Masorti Movement Judaism relevant. Please read more. And be sure to look up Rabbi Menachem on YouTube. He's a fine musician and singer.

1 comment:

  1. hi my name is jack hazut my web sit is wwwisraelimage.net you have been using my photo without my permission please contact me jackhazut@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete