Saturday, January 7, 2012

Meeting with the Rabbis - Two Today

I met with two rabbis today as part of my plan to go meet Jewish leaders to get guidance for my search.

My first stop with with Rabbi Sholom Groesberg. I've played music with him before, and he's the sprightliest, sharpest 91-year-old you'll ever want to know. He's retired from active rabbi work, but he encouraged me to get involved with my local congregation sooner rather than later. He also has an exciting opportunity coming up -- The New Age Yeshivah. Taking  place in his home, it will feature great learning opportunities in Hebrew, History, Humanities, Halakhah and Holidays on Wednesday evenings.  There will be an open house on February 15, 2012 from 7 to 8:30 p.m. Contact Rabbi Sholom at 925-946-1812 or RabbiSholom@Groesberg.com for more details.

I then drove over to Temple Sinai in Oakland, where I had a great conversation with Rabbi Jacqueline Mates-Muchin.I was referred to her by my Aunt, who knew the rabbi when she was working at my Aunt's congregation in Buffalo, New York. We also discussed many useful and important things. I'm now going to sit and read the book of Ecclesiastes, have two fine CDs of music to listen to as well as two book recommendations. Rabbi Mates-Muchin also suggested that I get involved somewhere, so I guess I'd better get on it! I plan to return there to attend services. The tail end of the Saturday morning one sounded great.

I spoke with Rabbi Bridget Wynne of Jewish Gateways a couple of days ago. This was the first of my rabbi talks--it was on the phone--but I got more good ideas from her, too.She recommended Judiasm for Dummies among other things. It covers things from a non-Orthodox viewpoint. I'll be keeping in touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment